Friday 6 July 2012

Nice weather .... for ducks!

A very dry winter followed by almost incessant rain for goodness knows how long. Where will it all end?

I had to drive through this flood outside our drive in order to get home tonight.




Many cars were turning round at the flood. Some, me included, in Tom’s little VW Polo slowly edged our way through. A few drove through at speed with the wash nearly covering their bonnet and spluttered on. One very stupid lady started to come into the flood whilst I was driving through, but since I was driving in the middle of the road and had no intention of stopping or moving in to the deeper water she was forced to stop. A wicked part of me was hoping one of these loonies would conk out and have to wade to safety when I had my camera handy for taking pics. No such luck!


The river you can just see through the hedge is actually the road!

On a happier note a glimpse of blue sky taken through our office window as I was uploading this post.



Followed  15 minutes later by this...


I just hope that a hot dry spell is forecast for Le Petit-Pressigny and it’s environs for late July and August. Then the summer won’t have been a complete washout.

P.S. Did I mention ducks? You'll have to wait as for some reason Blogger has stopped uploading pics!

This image is courtesy of 'just ducks'.




12 comments:

  1. I really feel for you, and hope that you get some great weather when you get back to France...not long now. J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janice!

    It hasn't rained so far today and the flood has drained away. I think it's a case of the drains being unable to cope with the amount of rainwater.

    Two weeks today we should be passing Rouen - floods and traffic allowing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how lucky we will be with the weather when you are back with us Gay. It's been a bit hit and miss here for a few weeks. Still, I'm sure we can find some sun for you.
    At least we have been spared the flooding that you have had in the UK. I feel sorry for the poor folks who have endured the water for the second time in as many weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The talk here is that it will (not might)rain until September! I think some of the cottages in Weston flooded and the Trent is covering the fields between us and the A51.

      After an OK morning it's raining again...

      Delete
  4. What happened to the drought!! I hope that the water stays out of your house that is just the worst! Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane.

      It will need to rain in biblical proportions for our house to flood, unless it comes in through the roof.

      Some people haven't been so lucky though and flood damage to your home must be devastating.

      Delete
  5. And more to come today according to the forecast. I feel desperately sorry for those whose houses are flooded. I saw someone on the news last night who was still smiling as the water seeped into his house. True British pluck!
    I had a friend whose car did conk out in flood water, she was locked inside it. She said even though the water was only halfway up the door, she still had the illogical thought that the car was going to fill up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for them too. It must be devastating.

      Your friend must have been frightened as it would have been really hard to open the doors.

      Delete
  6. We'll keep uur fingers crossed for you. We've had sharp showers but then the sun peeks out. Saw the flooding in the UK on the news -- looked dreadful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do!

      The long range forecast here is for more and more of the same.

      Delete
  7. The UK has certainly seen some impressive rain, hasn't it! My sister has renamed summer 'the rainy season' and clearly with good cause. I hope the weather in France makes up for it!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your sister has it just about right, Annie.

    Two weeks today ...

    ReplyDelete