Thursday 21 June 2012

A race for life ....

A few months ago my friend Helen asked me to be a volunteer at a ‘Race for Life’ in aid of Cancer Research UK, which was to be held in Wolverhampton.  I readily agreed, then promptly forgot all about it. About a week ago an email arrived with the details and my heart sank. It’s a busy time at work with my reports, a parents evening, all of my transfer data to enter, two transition visits of new pupils to teach and preparations for a ‘hand over’ day of my science responsibilities to my successor –  IN THE SAME WEEK!! All of this in addition to my normal teaching load.



 I quickly learned that being busy is as nothing when compared to the real challenges in life, and death.

I am so glad that I was asked.

The TA’s at school are a good bunch and I was entertained by their banter on the journey from school. We arrived and were given T-shirts and allocated to the finish line where we were asked to distribute the medals, water and goodie bags to the participants at the end of the race.

Unfortunately a large number of the volunteers didn’t turn up on the night so we were asked to multi-task. Good job we were a bunch of women!



Joy volunteered to be a flag bearer.  Helen, Judith, Dee, Di and Liza were selected to be a human shield. So when someone came back and said that they were short of course marshals Sally, Kathy and I were the only ones left.

They must have recognised something very special in me because I was given a radio and a Madonna style head microphone and precise instructions about how to use it!! For a scientist I am probably a gadgetphobe. Little did they know that in my day job I am used to shouting from one end of a school field to another without any such aids!
After a slight hiccup in map reading – I was roaming around the opposite end of the park searching for my marshalling position – I assumed my responsibilities as M7.



The whole race/walk was so uplifting to be a part of. There were about 3000 participants most dressed in pink costumes of one sort or another. Many were wearing the names and photographs of loved ones who are or have been affected by cancer. Some of the runners were suffering from cancer and many were nurses who work with cancer patients.



I was joined at my position by an elderly gentleman who told me that his wife is suffering from terminal cancer but was too ill to come to watch his daughters (one of whom is herself in remission) run. He was in tears as he told me about the effect the disease on their lives. He stood with me for over an hour and cheered.

The 'back marker' was a very brave lady who was walking with her nine year old daughter. Mum was a cancer sufferer, walked with a stick and a great deal of pain and difficulty. It took her over an hour to walk the first 2km lap and she really couldn’t manage any more but her daughter wanted to finish. She walked the final 3km with a marshal and was rewarded tremendous cheer as she crossed the finishing line. It was very emotional.



The bravery, strength and sense of humour I witnessed from so many people was tremendous.

Next time I am asked to volunteer for such an event I will do so without hesitation, and might even be persuaded to take part.

Our local hospice has a fundraising midnight pyjama walk in September and Helen is determined to organise a large team of walkers.



Whether I’ll wear a pink tutu with my pyjamas remains to be seen…



22 comments:

  1. These are always such emotional events aren't they. Its brilliant that you did this, especially at such a busy time for you. There aren't many of us that cancer hasn't affected in some way, and regardless of the money raised, the morale raising and support that cancer sufferers and their families get is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you'll be aware all weeks aren't usually as busy as this! However it was a fantastic occasion and hopefully a large fundraiser.

      Delete
  2. Very emotional. I'm so glad you did the volunteering and shared it so vividly. Well done everyone - does make you think, doesn't it! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the last year four of my friends have had battles with cancer. Three are thankfully now free of the disease and another involved in a tremendous battle. Research into cures and better management are SO inportant.

      Delete
  3. Well done to give your support to other people !
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to you and everyone who took part and gave support, a very emotional day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Cancer has touched the lives of friends and family and " there by the grace of God..."

      Delete
  5. Good for you, Gaynor. Sometimes it seems that those events that seem to come at such an unwelcome time prove to be the most meaningful. Your pictures are very moving and beautiful. Pajama walk at midnight? Hope we get some pictures of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We now have a team of about 12 for the pyjama walk and still counting! Expect some pics but they won't be for the squeamish...

      Delete
  6. They say if you want something doing, ask a busy person - she will get it done !! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean,
      Thanks.
      I expect blogsphere is full of busy people!

      Delete
  7. There are things to do and then there are things that are really worth doing. Well done to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pauline.

      You are absolutely right...

      Delete
  8. Good on you and all the participants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I now realise that organisations such as Cancer Research UK need our time as well as money.

      I've always been happy to donate money, but as work winds down I'll try to be more generous with my time.

      Delete
  9. I see you follow my daughter's blog, she tells all about her "barn yard" in a big city. I lived with her when she had breast cancer the doctor told to shave her head. She bought a wig but it was too hot. I told her she looked really cute with her bald head, just everyone could not pull that off. That was about 12 years ago. I thak God that I was there at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done to both of you, and best wishes.

      Delete
  10. Well done Gaynor, anything concerned with cancer is worth doing. I am on a book stall this Saturday also for cancer research, but I am sure selling books is much easier than multi tasking at a run. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done to you too, Diane. Everything helps.

      Good luck with the stall. I hope the weather is kind to you all.

      Delete
  11. I saw your name on the blog My Life in the Charente and came for a visit. You took part in such a wonderful event and so meaningful. I enjoyed the pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Vagabonde.

      I've dipped into your really interesting and beautifully illustrated blog and will be back for more...

      Delete